Updated: Fire Causes $100K Damage to Brookfield Home
The cause was not yet determined, but the fire department warned citizens to use caution with fireplaces and ensure they have spark screens or approved doors.
Updated (2:25 p.m. with Fox6now.com report): A fire caused an estimated $100,000 in damage to a Pershing Drive home Saturday night, but person inside was able to get out safely.
It was not yet known exactly what caused the fire but it has been determined to be accidental, according to the Brookfield Fire Department.
Patch media partner Fox6now.com reported that a man feel asleep after starting a fire in the house's living room fireplace.
Fire Chief Charlie Myers said in a press release that having working fire alarms on all levels of the home helped alert the occupant to get out in time. The chief also warned to use spark control screens or approved doors on fireplaces and burn with "extreme caution."
Crews were alerted to the fire in the 14900 block of Pershing Drive at 11:04 p.m. Saturday. They found smoking billowing out the front door, and the sole occupant had already gotten out of the house.
The fire started in the basement and traveled to the first floor, where firefighters quickly extinguished it. Assisting were Elm Grove and Wauwatosa fire and paramedic units, and Sussex and Town of Brookfield crews backed up the City of Brookfield fire station during the fire.