Elmbrook School District earned the 5th highest rating score among K-12 districts in the state of Wisconsin under the Department of Public Instruction school report cards released on Tuesday.
All of the Elmbrook District's schools received classifications of "exceeds" or "significantly exceeds" expectations, the two highest ratings, according to a press release from the district.
The school report cards, which were first issued by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction last year, are intended to create a more standardized methodology for parents and community members to determine the effectiveness of their local schools, the press release said. Similarly, the district report cards present an overall level of effectiveness across a school system.
More from the release:
The report cards include outcomes for each school in four priority areas:
- Student Achievement - which measures the level of knowledge and skills among a school’s students, compared to state and national standards;
- Student Growth - which describes how much students’ knowledge of reading and mathematics changes from year to year;
- Closing Gaps - which shows how the performance of student groups experiencing statewide gaps in achievement and graduation is improving in the school and keeping students on track to graduation; and
- Post-secondary Readiness - which indicates the success of the school’s students in achieving educational milestones that predict postsecondary success.
"The school report cards that were released by the state clearly show that our schools are among the best in the state," said Dr. Mark Hansen, superintendent. "But while we have much to celebrate, our continued focus on taking our district from ‘great to greater’ means that we must continue our continuous improvement efforts and raise our own expectations for what our schools and our students can achieve."
Based on a combined score in each of these four areas, four schools were categorized as "significantly exceeding" expectations:
- Brookfield Elementary School
- Swanson Elementary School
- Brookfield Central High School
- Brookfield East High School
All other Elmbrook elementary and middle schools were categorized as “exceeding expectations.” These two designations represent the two highest classifications possible.
More information, including summary and detail report cards for the district and schools, can be found on the Department of Public Instruction website, http://reportcards.dpi.wi.gov/.