.

Black Friday House Fire Causes $100K Damage

A Wilson Drive home owner returned home about 3:30 a.m. from Black Friday shopping to find kitchen on fire.

A Brookfield woman returned home from Black Friday shopping about 3:30 a.m. found her house kitchen on fire and awakened her sleeping husband to get him out of the house, fire reports show.

Brookfield firefighters put out the blaze, which caused about $100,000 in damage — $70,000 to the structure at 825 Wilson Drive and $30,000 to contents.

According to reports:

The woman got home from shopping and called 911 to report her kitchen was on fire. She went back into the house to get her husband out. The fire might have started in a garbage can in the kitchen area.

"Our fire prevention message for this incident is that all homeowners ensure they have working smoke detectors on all levels of the home," Fire Chief Charlie Myers said in an e-mail. "Please dispose of smoking materials in a metal container and place the container outside a safe distance from the house."

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »